The History of the club

 

The Blackburn and District Camera Club was founded in September 1901 under the name of:

“The Blackburn and District Photographic Society”, with meetings being held at the old Barton St. School.

It was not until 1908 that it became known as “The Blackburn & District Camera Club” after the amalgamation with the Blackburn Camera Club (founded 1905).

The merger was celebrated by the presentation of a silver shield by local businessman James Stanworth J.P. The “Stanworth Shield” has been awarded annually for the best print in the exhibition ever since.

1905 also saw in the introduction of “The Lancashire & Cheshire Photographic Union” (L&CUP), of which Blackburn was a founder member, the club still remains a member to this day.

It was also a Blackburn Member (Mr Arthur Clayton) that led to the forming of the “Inter-Club Photographic Alliance” (I.C.P.A) in 1909, he suggested that local clubs should group together to form an alliance and compete against one another in the interest of healthy competition, this was inaugurated with thirteen founder clubs, this too is still going strong with Blackburn & District Camera Club having always taken an active role.

The club has had several successes over the years in winning trophies and competitions, with individual member successes too.

The club can boast several members with Distinction Awards of the “Royal Photographic Society”, from the early days to today.

The membership grew in 1909 to over 150 members, this obviously declined during the war years, and declined further with the advent of television and cine-photography, but the club remained strong in numbers, and today’s number around forty-five, but with the coming of “Digital Photography” this number is again increasing.

Blackburn & District Camera Club has always been an active club and remains so today with members of all capabilities from novice to international exhibitors. There is always room for new members, and anyone wanting to advance their photographic interest or skills can always be assured of a warm welcome.

 Posted by at 6:20 pm